Special Bug Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

How *NOT* to Play A Hand

Played some $25NL 6max on Carbon this morning. Unfortunately, my head wasn't entirely in the game, as I was simultaneously working on a report for work. Here's what happened:
 
No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com 
 CO ($22.95) Hero (Button) ($25) SB ($9.60) BB ($25) UTG ($8.83) MP ($32.68)  
 
Preflop: Hero is Button with 9, 10 2 folds, CO bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, 2 folds  
 
{I don't mind my call here, as the CO was a very good, aggressive player who could be raising with a wide range. I felt I could float him here if I missed, too, plus I expected the BB to come along, as he was a big calling station. The BB didn't call behind, however, so I ended up heads-up IP against the reg villain with a hands that's pretty easy to play post flop. Not a bad situation.}
 
Flop: ($1.85) 8, K, 6 (2 players) CO bets $1.38, Hero calls $1.38  
 
{A good flop for me, with the flush draw and the gutterball. Unfortunately, here was my first mistake, as I should have raised my draw. Calling behind isn't horrible, but it does define my hand to the opp. Raising is the better play given the wide range of the opp and the deception it offers.}
 
Turn: ($4.61) A (2 players) CO bets $3.45, Hero raises $6.90, CO calls $3.45  
 
{Gin. I hit my flush and now my thoughts turned to extracting value. My silly min-raise, however was ill-advised as it basically turned my hand face up to the villain and didn't build value. If I'm going to raise now, I should have put in at least $9 into the middle. This is slow-played idiotic greed, and not good poker at work.}
 
River: ($18.41) 6 (2 players) CO checks, Hero bets $12.27, CO raises $13.92 (All-In), Hero calls $1.65  
{When the villain checked to me, I should have  checked behind. Why? Because the only hands a reg is going to call with here are hands that beat me. He pretty much knows I've got a flush. The board paired, so there were tons of ways I was beat. Further, there were at least two flush cards he could easily have had in his range that would have given him a better flush. Betting here was DUMB. In other words, Pot Control was the right play.}
 
Total pot: $46.25 
 
Results: Hero had 9, 10 (flush, Ace high). CO had A, A (full house, Aces over sixes). 
 
Outcome: CO won $43.94 
 
Of course I went on a small tilt-o-whirl ride after this hand and donked off another $20 or so before walking away from the computer. Grrrr.
All-in for now....
-Bug

2 comments: