Special Bug Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Back in the Trenches, Take 2

Been having a rough go of it at $25NL lately, so I figured I'd step back down to $10NL for a bit and regroup. Further, I decided to dabble back at the full-ring tables. I've been playing almost exclusively 6max since Black Friday-- mainly because I think you can make more at the short-handed tables than at the full-ring... if you're willing to live with more variance, that is. Also, the 6max games are livelier and, frankly, more fun than the grind of 9-handed cash tables.

But in an effort to get my head screwed back on straight and just plain make some money, I opened up 6 tables of $10NL full ring and went to town. In general, I played my "normal" LAg-style game, but I tightened up in EP considerably (as compared to 6max).

I think I did pretty well. The one hand that I lost the most on was entirely my own fault. I was dealt rockets and made a couple of major mistakes midway through the hand:


Hero (BTN): $10.70 (107 bb)
Preflop: Hero is BTN with A of diamonds A of spades
2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.55

Flop: ($1.65) 9 of spades 3 of spades T of spades (2 players)
MP2 bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

{Ugh. I have an overpair and the nut flush draw. What am I doing calling behind here? I should be raising here. If I get re-popped, I'm folding. Otherwise I'm putting the hard decisions to my opponent, instead of the way I played it here.}

Turn: ($2.65) J of diamonds (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.76, MP2 raises to $3.52, Hero calls $1.76

{Here is where I should have taken the free card. A straight draw just completed, plus it's very likely the opp could have two pair. Checking behind is the right play.}

River: ($9.69) Q of diamonds (2 players)
MP2 bets $10.12, Hero folds

{At least I got this part right. Sigh.}

Results: $9.69 pot ($0.48 rake)
Final Board: 9 of spades 3 of spades T of spades J of diamonds Q of diamonds
Hero mucked A of diamonds A of spades and lost (-$4.77 net)
MP2 mucked and won $9.21 ($4.44 net)

Okay, this hand aside, I think I did pretty well otherwise and mostly played strongly at all my tables. I played 218 hands in about 40 minutes and made 105bb/100, with solid profit realized at each of the six tables. My VPIP ranged from 6% in EP, to 32% on the button, for an average of VPIP=18%. I think my aggression was spot on, with PFR=15.5% and an AF=9. My cbet % is probably still too high, but at least I'm aware of this problem and I'm trying to slow down and adjust for board texture better.

All-in-all, this little diversion was just what the doctor ordered.
All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment