Special Bug Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bug's Poker Tip #8

Chips lost early in a tournament are more valuable than chips won.

A Bug Tip isn't really the right place to prove this axiom, but trust me, it's true (I've done the math). When in a tournament, especially if the patience factor is reasonable and it's early in the game with low blinds, you need to play a very snug, conservative game. When in doubt-- fold. Losing even a handful of chips at this stage lowers your tournament equity a disproportionate amount. And because tournaments are zero sum games, all of your opponents at the table benefit when you lose chips, even if they're not involved in the hand. Remember, you can't win a tournament on the first hand, but you sure can lose one... or at least set yourself up to lose. In a number of tournaments I've busted out in recently, I didn't respect the value of chips lost. I was focused instead on increasing my chip count, not preserving those that I had accumulated. In early tournament play, tight is right.

All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment