On this last day of 2013, and in keeping with the PokerBug tradition of overly-ambitious New Years Resolutions, here are my ten poker-related aspirations for the year that will be 2014:
- ABC Poker Training. A little more than a year ago I registered the web domain www.ABCPokerTraining.com. Haven't done much with it yet, nor is it anywhere close to being live (and, frankly, I'm not sure what I'm actually going to do with it), but the plan most likely involves a more formal collection of training articles than this modest blog affords, some videos, and maybe even a podcast or two. Probably a collection point for gathered technical information for a newbie book I'm putting together as well. Dunno why, but I continue to be fascinated with the process of teaching a new player this simple/complex/crazy/frustrating/rewarding game, and ABC is someplace I hope to get a little better organized in this regard. Therefore, the resolution for the new year is to poke at this puppy a bit and see if I can get something actually launched.
- The Blog. I feel I've done a reasonable job posting regularly herein, and the resolution for 2014 is to continue doing so. I would like to post more hand histories, plus keep up the technical articles I've been doing. More Bug Tips, too, along with another running diary of the build-up to [spoiler alert] WSOP 2014.
- WSOP 2014. Yep, I'm resolving on going back to Vegas. (Duh!) This year there will be no stated hard results goals (I'm not even resolving to min-cash), but I do hereby resolve to do the following two things:
- Play the best tournament and cash poker I possibly can; and,
- Have fun doing so.
- A third possibility is to drag a friend or two along for the adventure (Mr. Multi? Helicopter Bob? Flyboy? GolfPro? Bueller? Anyone else reading this...?? :-) )
- Finally, if it looks like Vegas can't work out for some reason in 2014, I'm going to make a concerted effort to at least play in the Arizona State Championship game up in Phoenix...
- Impatience. This is really just a basic trait buried in my DNA; I can't sit still, I have a really hard time waiting for things/people/results. This means I get impatient with things like slow-moving MTTs.
- Bankroll Management. This is not a real problem per se (i.e., my life bankroll is more than adequate for the stakes I play at), but my actual online poker bankroll is not technically adequate to play where/how I do; this is exacerbated by taking money out on a regular basis (which is probably a result of getting burned by Full Tilt and the US Government).
Well that's it. Another list, another year. Unfortunately, 2014 promises to be another hectic, travel-laden year for this Bug on the job front. Lots of family stuff also in the offing for the new year, plus a honey-do and project list that have fallen seriously in arrears... ...but the truth is that's the way I like things. I can always sleep when I'm dead, right? Right.
Anyway, I sincerely hope all of your collective New Years are fun, safe, relaxing, and profitable. Cheers all!