Special Bug Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Perfect September in Nebraska

Been thinking about some short-term poker goals... and came to a decision. I'm really intrigued by Omaha, but I haven't been playing very consistently. Also, per my last post, I haven't been focusing very well on hold'em when I've played during the past month. This has also translated over into my Omaha learning curve. Some days I've been very focused and done quite well, while on other days I've been distracted and played poorly. I also kind of miss bankroll experiments like Operation Hindenburg, but realize that a long, multi-month experiment doesn't quite fit into my life very neatly right now

Put all of these things together, and it sounds like I need to do a short-term bankroll experiment in Omaha. Specifically, what I think I'm going to try is to play 100 (and only 100) perfect hands of Omaha per day for the month of September. All other poker I play will be hold'em related (Rush, SnGs, MTTs, etc.). Said another way, the only Omaha I play will be this 100 hands per day. No more, no less.

Okay, you ask, why do this? The short answer is that I'm convinced that micro-stakes Omaha can be very profitable... IF one plays very cautiously and, yes, focused. Setting a limit of 100 hands of play per day means that I (hopefully) won't have time to get, uh, unfocused. It also means that I should be able to find the time to actually play the 100 hands, even if I'm traveling or work is a zoo. One hundred hands of Rush Omaha takes about twenty minutes, max.

Also, setting the experiment to run just 30 days in total means I shouldn't get bored with it, and therefore I can keep the "perfect" part of the experiment going. (Note that during this same month, and as a side project, I'm planning to watch at least two Omaha videos per week, and try to read a little each week on the game, too. In other words, the goal for September is to make a serious push toward mastering Omaha poker.)

I'll try to report back on a regular basis on how the whole experiment is progressing. Stay tuned... the variance might be big.

All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment