Special Bug Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Icy Roads

Just got back from a hellacious 1-week biz trip to Chicago. I won't bore with all the gory details, but two things stand out. First was the weather, which was historic for the region. A super-duper wet cold-front system moved up from Oklahoma and Kansas, gathering steam, and then socking the entire midwest and northeast with 70mph winds, 2 feet of direct accumulated snow (2-inches per hour at the peak), driving sleet, drifts that exceeded 10 feet in some places, 1-inch thick ice on the roads, double digit negative temperatures... you name it, we got it. Wow, what a storm. Fortunately, the system moved through the region like a runaway freight train, and by the time I had to come home on Friday, the skies were sunny, the roads semi-passable, and the airports were back up and running. Crazy, crazy weather. Here's a traffic camera shot taken the day after the worst of the storm hit:
And speaking of bad storms.... the other thing worth mentioning from the week was my horrible horrible horrible poker play in the evenings in my hotel room. In a nutshell, I wasn't sleeping worth a damn during the week, which meant I wasn't mentally as sharp as I should have been, which in turn meant I wasn't playing good poker, which meant I was essentially on a form of tilt... and I failed to recognize it. The first commandment of poker is Thou Shall Be Prepared To Play. During the entire trip, I was simply never fully mentally prepared to play-- and my bankroll suffered greatly because of it. Ugh. I managed to wipe out my entire January month's worth of profit in the span of one bad week in February on the virtual felt. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Note to self: do NOT play poker whilst on business trips.
All-in for now...
-Bug
PS. On a lighter note (and totally un-poker related), check out www.wimp.com/kineticsculpture (sorry, but for some reason blogger doesn't want to embed a direct link to the web site; you'll have to cut and paste the link into your browser). I love the fact that these things work, but even more so that there are people out there in the world crazy enough to dedicate their lives to building and testing them. Pretty damn useless and pretty damn cool at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment