Special Bug Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

WSOP-2013: Week #21

It’s Sunday, so time for a recap of this week's prep/progress toward WSOP-2013:
  • Preparation:
    • Pregame. Didn't really do much pregame work this week, as I spent four days on a jam-packed biz trip and didn't really play much. I did jump into a few late night cash sessions, and I played a couple of MTTs, but for the most part I just hopscotched around whenever I had a few minutes, with very little prep. My results (below) show that this did not work out particularly well for me...
    • Off-Table.
      • Hand-of-the-Day. Went 5 for 7 in agreement with the majority, and of the two I missed, I actually think I'm right. Like the Winning Poker Tournaments book, I really like this site for specific hand analysis reviews; if you're serious about improvement, I'd suggest doing a hand review exercise like this on a daily basis. It only takes 5-10 minutes, and it stretches the ole poker mind.
      • Blog Entries. Only had time for one blog entry, which was a cash game hand analysis that the Guru and I corresponded briefly on.
      • Books. Read a couple of MTT hand analyses from Vol 3 of Winning Poker Tournaments. Good fundamental stuff, but nothing to write home (or blog home?) about.
      • Videos. Watched three full MTT-related videos that I downloaded from TPE, plus started a fourth one that I got from Splitsuit. 
      • Podcasts. Listened to Bart Hanson's podcast on merging ranges.
      • Health. Actually managed to lose a pound, despite the biz travel.
    • Bankroll Management. As usual, I'm pushing the envelope in cash. Played well within the 'roll in the few MTTs and one SnG I played, however.
  • Technique:
    • Preflop. Mostly solid play preflop, but one thing I have noticed is that my VPIP to PFR gap is widening a bit. Need to do some post-mortems and see what's the cause of this. Generally speaking, your PFR should be just a few ticks away from the VPIP value. In fact, because of this delta, my HM2 HUD has started labeling me a "fish" in its little icon that it displays onscreen. Guess I need to look at this... ;-)
    • Postflop. Played pretty well postflop. Had a couple of big cooler hands (e.g., ran into rivered bottom set when I hit TPTK holding AKs, for instance), but otherwise I did a good job of REDi'ing.
    • Adjustment. Haven't really worked on this aspect of my game much, but it's something I need to bone up on, especially in big MTTs, where other good players will undoubtedly start adjusting to my play if I stay static in my tactics.
  • Emotional Control:
    • Tilt Control. Have to admit I was a little tilty on occasion this week following the aforementioned coolers. The good news, however, is I recognized it, and then left the games immediately.
    • Discipline. Meh. Biggest issue was playing tired late at night from hotel rooms with spotty internet connectivity.
    • Heart. Have to admit I am a little discouraged with my occasional lack of ability to "pull the trigger" in thin-value situations when playing in high-stakes cash games, especially on the river. This should be a big hint that I should not be playing $400NL with the current bankroll. Sigh.
$ Results:
  • Tournaments (Online). Easily won one $5.50 STSnG (full ring) I mistakenly entered (thought it was an $11 game), but then busted mid-pack in three $11 MTTs (mostly due to lack of focus). I did manage to score on a couple of knock-out bounties in one of the MTTs that had bounties in place. Total net loss in this area was $10.
  • Tournaments (Live). None played.
  • Cash Games. Typical choppy but positive week. If I correlate the poor results sections of my graph with the days of the week I played, it's obvious (as usual, and in hindsight) I should not play when on biz trips. Basically, I dug myself a hole Tue-Thur late in the evenings in the hotel, and then had to climb out of it Fri-Sat when I got home. Net profit overall was $206.

Summary: I'm in town for the next full week, and besides the usual honey-do and work stuff, I've hopefully got a little time available for serious headway on the studying front this week. Also, my online 'roll is ready for another cash-out, so I'll be back down in the $50NL games for cash-game bankroll building. Finally, this coming weekend is the last-Saturday-MTT-of-the-month tourney I played in last month; I've got to see if I can find time that day to head back up and give it another whirl.


All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment