Special Bug Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Countdown: 6 Weeks.... Yikes!

Looked at the calendar this morning and realized I'm exactly 6 weeks away from the $1K Seniors WSOP NLHE event. Holy. Crap. Six weeks. That's just forty two days. That ain't a lot of time, folks...

I've been off-track about preparing (and blogging) the past month or so, and now it's panic time. Unfortunately, biz travel has been kicking my butt again, and it's not going to get any better, at least not in the short term. I just got back from a very tiring two week European trip, and I'm heading back out westward across the Pacific again in a week for another long period away. Following that, fortunately, I'm finished with travel until after the WSOP. Whew.

Family health stuff have also piled themselves on top of my motivation. Oh, and I've got a leaky roof to fix, a busted kitchen cabinet drawer, the watering system in the front of the house seems to have gone haywire, yardwork that has piled up, etc...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Quack, quack, quack.

So, what's the plan moving forward? Good question. Here's what I've got:
  1. Stamina. First and foremost on the list, believe it or not, has to be getting my butt in shape. I've been dabbling for months with a healthier lifestyle, but it's time to turn up the heat. My family history has a lot of blood sugar issues (hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc). Sadly, I'm no exception, with frequent energy crashes after even modestly large meals. The good news is that I've discovered that if I'm below a certain weight, my body is much more forgiving. If I'm to sit up and pay attention in a high PF WSOP event six weeks from now, I've got to do everything I can to help my stamina. Ergo, serious diet and exercise time, folks. The good news is I've been exercising fairly consistently, even on travel. The bad news is the diet side of things, which, frankly, is much more important for health. We are what we eat, so I've got to get serious about watching what I eat. I've got ~10 pounds to lose between now and then...
  2. Practice. With almost no opportunities to play serious live poker between now and then, I'm not sure how I'm going to get enough seat time to improve. I am still playing a little online, but I think that actually can be counterproductive if I overdo it. DD Poker has been a staple of just practicing starting hands vs. blind levels and stack sizes, but that ain't real poker either. I think I'm just stuck in this area.
  3. Strategy. I am watching videos, which is a really good thing for me personally. Plus I'm re-re-reading the Winning Poker Tournament books series for the third time. These are really good reads, and there is a ton of information contained in even the most simple of hand analyses. Another thing I want to do in this area is re-write (so that a) it's fresh in my mind; and b) so that it's as complete as possible) my preflight checklist. The plan is to pull this out regularly during breaks and refresh myself on what I should be doing, etc. 
  4. Other. Still have to send in my registration check, but I've got airline tickets and hotel reservations made. In the next few weeks, I'm going to scour the forums for additional tips and tricks to make my stay as smooth and uneventful as possible (e.g., what exactly should I bring with me to the table?). 
More to come. I hope.


All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment