Special Bug Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Motley Memphis Miscellania

It's been a very busy week for me at work, so not much time for play or posting. Ergo, here are some miscellaneous bits that have popped in and quickly out of my mind since the last posting (all collected during the week via Evernote (see below)):

---

Trying out a new blog layout to simplify things a bit. Feedback is welcome...

---

Since the demise of PokerStove, which was arguably the most significant and game-changing poker software ever written, us die hard equity geeks have been forced to find other alternatives. Equilab is a good (free) one I use when I want to run multi-way combos, but the one I like the most is  Flopzilla, which has the cool ability to show you graphically how hard you hit a flop with both specific hands and ranges alike. Here's an interesting one, for instance: Holding a pair of eights, you're actually more likely to flop a set than an overpair:


---

Fellow poker blogger Memphis Mojo is currently making a deep run in the Seniors event at this year's WSOP. Run, Memphis, Run!

---

One of the most important things to do when implementing the R-is-for-Reading step of my REDi system is: Look Left. How many people are there left to act? What are their tendencies? How likely are they fight back? What ranges do they reraise and/or cold call with? Do they like to squeeze? What size stacks do they have? What if any tells can you pick up? And so on....  Remember that the upstream action is definitive and fixed and 100% readable, but the downstream action is the big unknown-- and those folks are going to have position on you throughout the hand if you decide to play. Make sure you take the time to assess their intentions before acting yourself.

---

Wow. Got contacted by a pretty serious and talented poker player who wants to watch me play. This person is a known "name" in the poker world. Coincidentally, I also was contacted by the Guru, who also wants to spend some friendly sweat session time with me online. I'm weighing whether I want to really open this particular rabbit hole door or not. Lots of reason both to and not to do this.

---

The CIA has joined the Twitter world this week, and it turns out they have a sense of humor after all. Their first post was: We can neither confirm nor deny this is our first post.  Cute.

---

For the past few years, I've been using Microsoft OneNote to keep all of my notes in life. This includes work, home, personal, project, and of course poker stuff. Unfortunately, I was switched from a PC to a Mac earlier this year, and while there is a Mac version of OneNote available, it's buggy and has some significant limitations. So... I made the switch this week to the other big name in this note-taking business: Evernote. While not perfect, and certainly with its own limitations, Evernote works seamlessly on my new machine and I'm finding the switch not too hard to make. I'd love to hear how you loyal readers take and organize session notes and poker strategy, but if you're struggling I would suggest you look into the (free) Evernote. It works cross platform (Mac, Windows, mobile devices, web-based, etc.), is fairly intuitive to use, and makes keeping, searching, and using collected data and notes pretty easy.

---

All-in for now...
-Bug



3 comments:

  1. You can still use pokerstove. Someone posted a link on 2+2 a while back after it went down with a way to get it working.

    I don't have the link or I would have posted it here but I'm sure you could do a search if you wanted to use it again. I still use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. I'm still in for Day 3, but short-stacked (as usual). Go me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To use pokerstove:
    1) Change "Date and time settings" on your computer to something like 10 July 2012.
    2) Open Pokerstove.
    3) Immediately change "Date and time settings" back to todays date. Because internet connection won't work and you'll forget about it and ...
    4) You can use Pokerstove as long as you don't close Pokerstove.

    ReplyDelete