Special Bug Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

WSOP-2013: Week #5

Today is Sunday, so it's time for a recap of this week's (pathetic) prep/progress toward WSOP-2013.
  • Preparation:
    • Pregame. A week-long biz trip killed almost all progress toward WSOP-2013, including most prep time I had. I did play in one big multi-tournament and went deep, and before I played it I spent ten minutes reviewing some key "pre-flight" ideas (that have yet to be folded into a proper check list. sigh.). This pregame prep definitely helped, especially the reminder to myself to fold when in doubt, and to not risk tournament life on close decisions.
    • Postgame. No time for any post-mortems, but then again I only played a couple of sessions all week, so there's not much to post-mortemize anyway.
    • Off-Table.
      • Forums/Hand-of-the-Day. Posted one response to one cash-game hand of the day, but otherwise little progress.
      • Books.  Read a little more of Snyder's first book, including the chapters on bluffing and showing cards. Good stuff.
      • Videos.  Watched a couple of Splitsuit's free videos on the plan; one was on playing KK, and the other on flopped monsters. Good stuff, too.
      • Podcasts.  Listened to the innaugural ThinkingPoker podcast I mentioned last week. Not too bad. The 'cast was one hour long, and the first half was spent entirely dissecting a single WSOP hand that one of the broadcasters was involved with this year. I blogged briefly about this earlier in the week, but the short story is that the guy raised in EP with a small pair, flopped a set, rivered a full house, and then folded to a big strength bet. Wow. In the end, after all the analysis was done, I agree now that the fold was correct, but still: wow. I am seriously worried I won't be ready to make such a big fold when it's my turn in Vegas. Lots left to do to get this disciplined.
      • Health.  Don't ask. Ugh. Seriously, I exercised zero minutes, ate terribly, sat on my butt for hours and hours on airplanes and the office, went out drinking in the evenings more than once... and gained weight. Ugh Ugh Ugh.
      • Other.  At work I've been using a Microsoft Office program called "OneNote" to keep my work life organized, take notes, document decisions, create and follow action items, etc. I've become a big fan of the software, so it kind of came as a "D'uh" moment this week when I realized I could use the same software to help organize my WSOP training prep. I've only just started setting up the framework for this, but I think it will make a big difference in focusing my efforts. Stay tuned....
  • Technique:
    • Preflop.  Zip.
    • Postflop.
      • R is for Reads. Zip zip.
      • E is for Estimate. Zipperoo.
      • D is for Decide. Have come to the conclusion that my default line in big MTTs, especially early on, should be Fold. Otherwise zippity doo da.
      • I is for Implement. Ziiiip.
  • Emotional Control:
    • Tilt Control.  No issues in this department to report; I'm playing (knock on wood) pretty tilt-free.... well, except for the life/health-tilt thing... sigh.
    • BRM.  Played well within the 'roll in the three tourneys I played in, but strayed in the two sessions of cash, which cost me a little. Played way too scared in the last cash session as a direct result.
    • Discipline.  Did a really good job paying attention in the one MTT I went deep in. Otherwise this one was zip.
$ Results:
  • Tournaments (Online). Played one MTT and two STSnGs. Went deep in the MTT, won one STSnG and busted very earlier in the other. Net gain to 'roll was $75.
  • Tournaments (Live) None played.
  • Cash Games. Lost essentially everything I earned in tournament play.

Summary: In general this week was basically a lost cause. Prior to leaving, I thought I'd figured out a way to find time to exercise and eat well, but in the end I succumbed to co-worker's requests to "go get a drink" after work, grab some lunch, etc. This is gonna be a big problem for me in the coming year, as I will be traveling at least 1x per month to Hawaii, and 1-2x trips to Europe and the mid-west US every couple of months on average as our construction project starts heating up. How to manage myself during these stressful, sleep-deprived, calorie-laden excursions still eludes me. At least on this trip I didn't try to play online when I was tired. That's good news, right? Right?! Yeah, right.


All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment