Special Bug Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

WSOP-2013: Week #12

It’s Sunday, so time for a recap of this week's prep/progress toward WSOP-2013.

As expected, my week-long biz trip to Florida with the boss (and his boss) killed pretty much any opportunity to play real poker. I did manage to get in about 30 minutes of $25NL Full Ring NL online late one evening, and I did make a few bucks during that session, but otherwise I played no online MTTs or STSnGs. So, with that in mind, here's the pitiful recap:
  • Preparation:
    • Pregame. I did read my cash game pre-flight checklist prior to playing the one cash session, and it definitely did help me focus after a long day in meetings in which my brain was overloaded. I also added an entry to my MTT checklist that says: "Reconstruct the hand before making a big call." The point of this is to ensure I don't overlook something obvious and nuttish that's in the villain's range, which is something I did a few weeks ago in a game that is still bothering me.
    • Postgame. No post-mortems performed. I really need to get going on this again, even when I'm not able to play much; I've got all my data with me on my biz trips, so I should just take some time and review hands.
    • Off-Table.
      • Forums/Hand-of-the-Day. Read a couple of HotDs, but otherwise nada.
      • Blog Entries. Wrote two blog entries, one on the fish at your table, and the other on fold equity.
      • Books. Read a couple of MTT hands from WPT Vol 1. book. This is really good stuff, and I definitely recommend it.
      • Videos. Started watching the last video of the live tells series. Seriously not worth the, uh, virtual film it's recorded on; what a crappy product.
      • Podcasts. Listened a little bit to the Thinking Poker episode of the week, but frankly I fell asleep on the plane halfway through it and need to rewind and re-listen again.
      • Health. Not a good week at all on this front. Business meeting food, almost no exercise, sitting on my rear end for hours and hours each day, not sleeping well, etc. No wonder I'm up a pound and a half. Worse, this week is turkey week, with at least two giant family meals planned. 
      • Other
        • I said I didn't play any live tourneys, but I did play two big WSOP MTT simulations on the DD Poker 3 software whilst sitting in crowded aluminum tubes high above the terra firma. Yes, I know that sim software isn't the same thing as playing against live players, but I am finding some real benefit from this software. First (obviously) it lets me play while not connected to the internet. Second (and more importantly) it throws hand after hand at me to play; kind of like Rush or Zoom poker. The AI isn't bad, too, so if I treat each hand seriously and try to "play the player" I think this can actually be beneficial. It's also addicting as hell.
        • Played around a bit with the "syllabus" for my (eventual) poker training manual. Dunno where this is going, but it was a fun diversion on one of the flights I got stuck on.
  • Technique:
    • Preflop. Zip.
    • REDi. Focused on the E-is-for-Estimating step; I wrote a blog entry on Fold Equity, which forced me to spend a little time researching the subject. There's more I want to explore on this subject, including combining it with the idea of cbetting different board textures from a statistical point of view. Math is powerful stuff, folks, and those of you who eschew and/or minimize its importance are probably not long-term winners at the game. Just sayin'....
  • Emotional Control:
    • Tilt Control. Interestingly, I found myself tilting a bit in the DD Poker simulations, especially when I got sucked out on by the AI villains. Weird how the mind works in this regard; I mean, come on-- I'm playing against the computer... and I'm getting mad at it. Crazy.
    • BRM. Added a few bucks to the bankroll via the one cash session I played.
    • Discipline. Ugh. My diet/exercise/health discipline sucked this week. Ugh ugh uhg. On the other hand, however, I didn't play most evenings on my trip when I was too tired to play well, so that's a plus, right? Right?! Ugh.
$ Results:
  • Tournaments (Online). None played.
  • Tournaments (Live). None played (although I got word that three of the crew chopped first, second, and third at my regular monthly live MTT this week. Awesome, guys!)
  • Cash Games. Played one session for a net gain of $35.

Summary: Not much to add here that I didn't already allude to above. I'm in the thick of the "survival" months of the year, just trying to get through the holidays without doing too much damage.


All-in for now...
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment